background

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Giving thanks.... life lessons from pilgrims and indians

So, I have decided that the blog has become more about football than I intended it! I haven't written about the things God has shown me in a while.... probably because I have been so obsessed with ESPN.com that I have overlooked those lessons He has been communicating to me! I figure since it is November and we have Thanksgiving coming up that I might focus a weekly post on the holiday.
Brett and I were sitting at a gas station and he saw smoke coming from the top of a car across the lot. I said... "that has to be someone smoking" Then I started my questioning: "who came up with the idea to take tobacco and smoke it?" Brett said, "The Indians" Then I was like, "Well, why would they even think smoking this would be good?" Brett said, "It was their crop" Then I said, "Where would they even begin to say, I like tobacco, maybe I should plant a full crop?" Brett said, "They lived off the land" Then I said, "How would you go about planting a crop back then, it's not like they had a Pike's nursery where they sold seed packets!" (then I imagined an Indian run nursery I think it was in a TeePee!.... PS, I know Indian is politically incorrect) Brett said "That's why the pilgrims almost died, They didn't know how to farm and the Indians showed them how." Then I said...."With corn and fish!" Brett said, "3 kernels of corn... and do you know what they used the fish for?" I had an idea, but I wanted to come up with something smarty pants and couldn't come up with anything... and then Brett said, "they used it for fertilizer." I tried to continue the whole "but why..." questioning and it didn't really last.
After all this quizzing, I thought, you know, just imagine, something totally unexpected and stinky turns into the food for the plant to grow and only a native can know and understand that there is a purpose for the fish! God provides us with our fish..does this make sense? No pun intended since we are talking about fertilizer, but, I can be going through the crappiest situation but God has put me there with that situation and it will eventually break down and bits and pieces of it will teach me something God has for me! I will grow leaps and bounds over what I would on my own. And I think about the 3 kernels of corn.... having those 3 kernels and the fish for fertilizer is like having God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in the midst of my crappy situation it all comes together to create a fruitful plant! It takes someone native to the land to understand that the stinky and fishy things are important to help us grow and that it all comes together for a purpose!
How thankful are you for your fishy situations? Sometimes, I think we have that sigh of relief and try not to look back when we come through things. I hope we would become native to these situations and be able to look back on what we went through in order to understand the purpose of all the elements involved.... I am thankful we can! It is just a matter of choosing to! This teaches us so much about God and how He works things out for good for those who love Him! I am resolved to commit this month to looking at my situation and becoming more willing to understand the purpose of each element God has added to it! I hope you take the same opportunity!

No comments: