background

Friday, June 11, 2010

Bible Study

Max and I do Bible study together… well I sit and do Bible Study and Max just lays on me. It is a really sweet time we can spend together. I am studying Esther thanks to Beth Moore for writing the study and to Statesboro First Baptist for having an amazing library that rents the different studies out to members and NON-members!
Anyway, I am getting off track. I had started to do the book because I didn’t have the DVDs. I made it through 2 weeks and then it got lost in the shuffle of holidays and then, moving to Statesboro. I have always been a lover of the stories that focus on women in the Bible. Mainly because, let’s face it, I relate. Also, seeing strength and obedient response to God’s call from a man can be totally different than a woman. Women respond to situations differently than men do and we, as women, can learn a tremendous amount from these early examples in God’s Word.
This little post will be brief as we are getting ready to roll out of our driveway… but I had to share something really that struck me in the video session Max and I were watching last night (as my incredible husband cooked me some amazing fish tacos! Again, I digress). The running theme to me so far is finding, understanding, and fulfilling our purpose. One of the things Beth had said was that we can’t realize our destiny without understanding our past. Our history, our testimony makes us who we are and prepares us for God’s special calling in our lives.
I realize I focus a lot on purpose and calling and destiny in the things I write and purposely study. I think that it is because I so look forward to being able to understand and experience what God has planned for me. I don’t like to wait, I don’t like the unknown. She used an amazing example of this idea of fulfilling our purpose while understanding and claiming our past. She said it is like a person in a row boat. They are backing into their destiny, all the while being aware of where they have been. This is such a perfect word picture of life to me. It makes complete sense and I become more settled in the fact that I don’t know what may be coming up behind me, however, I know that I should be powering towards it and remember who I am and where I have been so it can shape who I will be as I continue forward. It also gives me peace about the unknown. Sometimes we don’t know we are in the midst of God’s plan until we are passing through it. As we pass through we see it behind us clear as day, where we were and why it was such an important landmark to pass.
Good or Bad, I know God has a purpose in every encounter, conversation, and situation I am in. I may not feel His presence, but I know He is always present!

No comments: